Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

Of Changes and Choices

"The only constant in the world is change."

This statement is one of my all-time favourites because of its profoundness and the use of contrasting words to describe a universal truth. Be it a sunny sky giving way to a thunderstorm, my decision to choose a new flavour at Baskin Robbins because I got bored of the old one or when oppressed people revolt against tyranny, change is everywhere. From the infinitesimal quarks to the infinite universe, everything is in a continuous process of change.

Without change, we'd still be the savages of prehistoric times, clad in animal skin and eating shoots and leaves. Change is the very essence of life, preventing it from being dull or monotonous.

And it is one of my biggest fears.

Change means taking chances and venturing into uncharted territory, which entails a lot of what-ifs that drive me crazy. What if I fail? What if others ridicule me? I need to know what's going on and what's going to happen before I make I choice; while the former is possible, the latter, most often not. I'm afraid whether my choice will take me to a situation worse than the present. I know this feeling all too well - you get used to it when you lose crucial points in a quiz while guessing an answer. What if it's wrong? (But then, what if it's correct?)

This epiphany about changes and choices was probably the result of the soul-searching while Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken" was being taken in English. Anyway, I resolved to take one small step towards conquering this fear of mine by going forward with a change I've been deferring for a long time: changing the name of this blog.

Yes, I'm afraid whether I will come to regret this decision, like Gogol Ganguli changing his name to Nikhil in The Namesake. Because a name isn't just that. It is your identity, something that defines you, something other people recognize you by. I'm anxious whether people will say, "The old name was better." But I feel this step is one I have to take, to break free from the juvenileness associated with the title "My Li'l World."

And so, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Metamorphosis. Where cocoons of ideas transform into moths of fulfillment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment