Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Gotta Love the Internet...

Okay, probably this is a late realization for somebody who's been been using the Net for around 5 years. But only yesterday did I really comprehend how AWESOME it is - when I placed an order for 3 storybooks online. The story behind my "enlightenment" goes thus:

I've been wanting to complete my Percy Jackson series ever since I bought the first book - The Lightning Thief - and I recently purchased the fourth book from Reliance Timeout during the class trip to Bangalore (yeah, I know, so "nerdy" of me... but that's typical Zainab behaviour for you!) But the fifth and the last book was not in stock, and neither was the first book in the sequel series. The salesman assured me that the books would arrive soon, but unfortunately I wouldn't be in B'lore and we don't have Timeout in Calicut. All we have is a stupid TBS that's ALWAYS late to catch up on reading trends.

I'd already heard about Amazon, but my dad vetoed the proposal I'd hesitantly put forth - buy books online. He said we'd have to use credit cards... and that it wasn't 100% safe and secure. I was disgruntled, but nevertheless put away the idea from my mind. It came to nag me often, however. There's nothing more rankling than an incomplete collection of books, at least for me.

So one fine day in October, my BFF decided to tell me about Flipkart.com and I flipped as I heard about it. It's a service similar to Amazon, but is available only in India. And they have a cash-on-delivery option!! I even got treated to a whole history lecture about how 2 employees (Sachin-somebody and Binny-somebody... gee, I sound like Rachel from the Percy Jackson series) resigned from Amazon and established the company.

Anyhow, that night I persuaded my parents to place an order for the books in Flipkart. They fell hook, line and sinker for the amazing discounts (up to 35%) and the payment-on-delivery option.... and the rest is history. Just four easy steps... and voila! An order for 3 books placed and to be delivered within 3 days! Yippee! Thank you, Flipkart, I owe my happiness to you!

And the bottom line is: Internet Rules! :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment