Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I Am...

I am scribbled letters, scratched-out words
inked in leisure, linking worlds

I am memories shared, secrets kept;
together we laughed, together we wept

I am faked apathy, pasted smiles
while bitter taunts stay with me for miles

I am fluttering stomach, flaming cheeks;
the heart overrules who the head seeks

I am toothy grins, too-wide eyes
searching for answers in this sea of lies

I am ragged breaths, I am razed dreams
I am defied pulls, I am boundaries pushed

I am a caged bird yearning to fly,
my gaze fixed upon the skies so far, so high.




I thought I'd scheduled this post, until the discovery that I hadn't clicked the Schedule button. Absent-mindedness runs in my blood, I guess.

So this was inspired by Juliet and Regina at City Muse Country Muse. They have striking and poignant 'Where I Am From' poems in their About Me pages. I tried to incorporate parts of me - books/writing, friends, dreams, asthma etc. - into this, but it didn't come out as well as I hoped. Oh well. At least I tried.

4 comments:

  1. I like this a lot....my two favorite lines
    I am faked apathy, pasted smiles
    the heart overrules who the head seeks

    I think this poem can describe many of us...well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful poem! I like that same part, but I also like the last two lines.

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete